Now it is officially fall I have been baking a lot with apples,pumkin and spices. The weather still feels like summer here but there’s something in the air that makes it feel like fall. Every October my mum and I try and go to Apple Hill which is somewhere near Tahoe and you have to go there if you like apples. It’s a bunch of Apple orchards and different cute building that sell fresh apple cider,warm apple doughnuts, and the tradtional apple desserts. It’s really fun and festive for halloween. Anyways I’m getting into the mood a little early with this tasty Apple strudel.
Ingredients for Strudel dough:
Bread flour 1/2 pound
salt 1/2 tsp
water 6 1/2 oz
Vegetable oil 1 1/4 oz
vegatible oil for coating as needed
Directions for strudel dough:
1. Sift together the flour and the salt. Transfer to mixer. Add the water and the oil and blend on low speed using a dough hook attachment until just blended. Mix on high speed until the dough is smooth,satiny, and very elastic, about 10 minutes.
2. Turn out the dough onto the work surface and gather it into a ball. Rub it with oil and wrap on plastic wrap. Let the dough rest at room tempature for 1 hour, or refridgerate it overnight before using. Allow the dough to come to room tempature before streching.
Ingredients for strudel:
granny smith apples 2 1/2 pounds
raisins 2 oz
cinnamon sugar 4 oz
dried bread crumbs 3 oz
butter, melted 4 oz
Strudel dough 1/2 pound and 6 oz
1.Peel and core the apples. Cut into slices 1/4 inch and toss with raisins and cinnamon sugar.
2.Toss the bread crums with 1 oz of butter.
3. Cover a large work surface with parchment paper and cover with bread flour. Roll the dough out into a rectangle 12 by 18 in on the floured surface and let the dough relax for 15 minuetes, covered to keep from drying.
4. To stretch the dough work with two people on the opposite sides of the table. Place your hands under the dough and begin to lift and stretch it from the center out. Continue stretching until the dough is very thin and almost transparent.
5.Brush the dough with 2 oz of butter. Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the entire surface of the streched dough and then place the sliced apples on the edges of the dough. Roll up the dough, starting by lifiting up one edge of the parchment paper, then continuing using the paper to help you roll so the pastry forms a tight log. Transfer the strudel to a sheet pan.
6.Brush the tops of the strudel with the rest of the melted butter. Vent the tops of the strudel by making a 1-in cut in the dough at 2-in intervals.
7. Bake at 350 degrees until light and golden about 40 minuetes.
8.Serve immediately. Add whipped cream or ice cream.